We don't exactly have land, lots of land, underneath the starry skies, just a little pocket handkerchief, underneath the watchful gaze of several neighbours, but Monday and yesterday we have been fencing it in.
After two of the old panels came down completely in high winds, DH decided that we did have to pay the price for full replacement fences on both sides. So 2 nice men, took the old fence down. That was when the work started, having our disgraceful little meadow exposed for all to see, including all the cricketers nextdoor, spurred DH and I to start clearing the overgrown play area.
|The neighbours cricketers!|
I didn't take a full before picture, but it was covered with very tall grasses and moss everywhere. I think all the weeds love the rotted down bark that originally went in this patch to stop, what were, my toddlers hurting themselves when they fell off it.
|Several wheelbarrows full went to the tip.|
Both sons, plus the neighbours sons delighted in running across all the back gardens and declared that we should just have one big communal garden for all four houses. "That way we have room for a swimming pool". As the several of the posts holding up the climbing frame are also rotted where they meet the ground, it has been declared unsafe for the moment. There was a lot of discussion about it going to make room for a nice swing seat for me, but they both still seem to want it, despite the fact they are probably too old for it now. Therefore it needs to be lowered, not an easy job.
|It's starting to look better, maybe?|
Now the new fence is up, I'm feeling very claustrophobic and miss the old little trelis, but I'll get used to it, I suppose.
My hands and arms ached all Monday night, from the volume of stuff we had pulled up, but were not so bad that I couldn't have my very first attempt at knitting yesterday. My first attempt at some garter stitch didn't look too bad, although it took me a very long time. I don't seem to have missed any stitches, but my stitches seem very tight on the needle and hard to get into.
I got immensly frustrated trying to do a K1,P1 rib aswell as a K2, P2 rib as they just didn't seem to look correct. After ripping it back 6 times, I tried a K3, P3 rib instead which seems to have worked. Then I tried some basket weave and that doesn't look quite right either, so I need a lot more practice. Shame!
Hope you've had a good start to your week.